This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Neutrogena and Latina Bloggers Connect. The opinions and text are all mine.
When you look thru your window on a end- of- May Saturday’s morning and you see that white light showing the undeniable sign of a cloudy sky, what would you think is going to happen later? If you live in Southern California, you can bet there will be sun sooner or later!
That’s how our Memorial Day weekend started this year. We did so many different things, that I decided to give you a handy list of what you should pack in a handbag for three activities you can enjoy during warm weather.
Let’s go to the park!
The gloomy weather didn’t fool me. I was sure that I needed to pack my bag with appropriate products for our picnic at the park.
Be sure to bring:
- Sunglasses with UV protection. Your eyes are very sensitive to bright light and nature landscape is designed to reflect it with bright colors.
- Hat or cap. Be sure it covers your ears, specially if you are planning to do some hiking.
- Sunscreen with high protection factor (SPF). 30 and plus factor are the recommended number you should look for in a product. This one is from Neutrogena® Cool Dry Sports Line: it creates a breathable barrier on skin, which allows sweat to pass through the sunscreen and evaporate, so your skin can actually feel cool as you sweat. Apply it to every piece of skin that is not covered with clothes. With a spray presentation like this one, spray the product on the palm of your hand before applying it to the kid’s face, neck, ears and hair/ head if they are not wearing a cap. Don’t forget to reapply!
- Water. Unless you are doing some serious physical activity, avoid any electrolyte and sports beverage and stick to good ol’ plain flat water. This will help your body to keep its appropriate temperature without making your kidneys overwork with all of the salts and minerals other drinks have.
- A snack. It doesn’t matter if you are going to eat delicious finger food over a classic gingham fabric, always be prepared with something extra that can be packed easily in your handbag. Like seaweed of nuts. And let your kids enjoy a popsicle! Yes, it is overpriced sugary water and colorant, and you are 100% sure its not as good as those you can DIY at home. But you will always loose when the Ice Cream Truck arrives.
- Hand sanitizer. Specially useful when the park has a playground and everybody enjoys the same climbing games and monkey bars.
Remember that even when it’s cloudy, you need to wear sunscreen, as the UVA and UVB rays can penetrate the clouds and still harm your skin.
Let’s enjoy a fancy outdoors place.
On Sunday my husband made reservations for us having family lunch at a nice restaurant on the West side of LA.. We went there after enjoying an urban park for a while Although my hand bag this time was a bit fancier than my daily one, I still managed to pack some useful things.
- Sheer sunscreen. Our table was settled outdoors and, although it had some shade, you would get some sun from the side. This means something easy to carry is needed. I chose Neutrogena® Ultra Sheer® sunscreen line provides powerful sun protection paired with a lightweight, non- shiny finish that worked perfectly before my makeup application, over it when reapplying and in my girl’s face and arms without messing with her cute Sunday dress.
- Lipstick. When eating and drinking, even the long lasting lipstick formulas come out easily (specially if you eat something that has any kind of fat or oil on it, like salad dressing). You will need to reapply your lipstick when you finish your meal to be photo ready.
- Crayons have been my lifesavers more than once when I have had a cranky and hungry child around. I know I could give my little one my phone or a tablet so she can be entertained, but I try to keep our dinner table electronic- free as much as possible. Also, I have found she release her imagination when she’s feeling relaxed and coloring any paper sheet at the restaurant is a great way to do so.
- Purse hook. As surprising as it can be (it was for me when I discovered it), good manners indicate that your purse should not be let hanging on the back of your seat in a restaurant, but stay on your lap or at your feet. As I am totally can’t make my mom handbag over my lap nor I will let it sit on the outdoors’ floor (I mean, it is my nice bag!), consider keep inside it a handy portable hook that pops open and hooks over the edge of a table to keep your bag off the floor.
Time for a splash!
On Monday we decided to stay at home and enjoy the barbecue and pool area that the building has. Although our apartment is in the same construction as this amenities, it is much better to bring everything down there at once. After several experimentation, this are my basics for a day at the pool.
- An extra towel. For you of for your children, because it’s probable that someone will jump into the water with her towel as a cape, or get in and out the pool every 15 minutes and decide to dry himself every time. Or you will get wet one way or another, no matter if you were just “sitting there watching the kids”. I ended up soaking my feet in the warm jacuzzi that day, actually.
- Fun games for the pool. That can be something you buy previously at the store -like a floating basket ball set- or something improvised like a variety of coins you can throw to the deep part of the pool where older kids can dive in and recover them. Whatever the case, be sure you have at least one option in your pool bag. I took both options down that time.
- Water resistant sunscreen. There are few things we need to understand when it comes to mix water and sun light: a) water act as a reflective area, so you get the sun rays from above and from beneath; b) water keeps the skin feeling refreshed, but that doesn’t mean it is protected; c) water wash down the sunscreen protection if its formula is not specifically design to resist it. Neutrogena® Wet Skin Sunscreen is a revolutionary line of sunscreens that are specifically designed to adhere to and protect wet skin, dampened by swimming, sweating or humid weather. Don’t forget to reapply, specially when a towel is used to dry the skin.
- A book or a magazine. Give your electronics a break and enjoy the warm weather relaxing over a good novel or the last article about that one hobby or subject you are very interested in.
- Bug repellent. When there’s humidity, there are bugs. You can choose from a wide variety of options that range from commercial brands to organic options and, even, do it your own at home. Follow the instructions about reapplying the product and cover the skin avoiding the mouth, the nose, eyes and the ears.
I don’t get tired of repeat how important is to take care of our skin when it comes to keep it protected from the UV rays! This season is the best to practice what we preach with our family, because is not “a girl’s thing”! Did you know kids are more likely to adopt healthy habits, like applying sunscreen, if they see their parents doing it? Make sunscreen a habit. Learn more about the amazing Neutrogena sun care products on its web page and join us while you #ChooseSkinHealth.
Follow Neutrogena on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram by clicking on each social network.
What else would you carry in your bag when you are heading out on a Summer day